..

Let's face it we love our bullets more than most of our relatives. In fact everyday when I kneel in front of it (to check the oil, tyre pressure, chain or brake slack people confuse the ritual with praying. And praying it is, for another day of joyous ride.
So everytime I had to take my bull for maintenance it made my heart ache tranferring my love to someone else's care.
With time I have developed the art of maintaining my Bullet. With time I have also developed a circle of mechanics who I can rely on. Why a circle? you might ask. Is one good mechanic not enough. Plain answer is no. Like in the case of every doctor, lawyer or banker you need a second opinion.
So I am listing down my tried and tested mechanics around NCR. In case you have any more to add do inform and I'll add them in my poll list. if they recieve enough positive polls I'll review them too.
A word of advise, always treat your bullet mechanic with the respect they deserve, be friendly with them and they'll really take care of your ride. Otherwise you are just another job to be gotten over with.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

John Automobiles review

John Automobiles

Some people call him Pappu, some people call him John. I didn't know what to call him and I don't know still. Might be his real name is Pappu and because his garage is near John Player showroom it started being called John's garage and thus the name of John stuck with him. It could also be that his real name is John and his pet name is Pappu.
Anyways I had heard a lot about him that he could find out the problem with a bike even by the sound it makes. Quite ironically my exhaust was backfiring a lot making very loud blasting sounds. Even after switching to the premium Red rooster exhaust the backfirings did not subside. I had earlier gone to many mechanics and nobody used to think it needed any work. They all said the sound was a part of the free flow exhaust sound. So I thought it was the best time to visit this enfield whisperer.
As soon as entered his garage a guy named Nitin came forward, drawn by the sound. Before even I could say anything he asked me if I had purposely tuned my bull for this sound or do I needed it fixed. When I said that nobody in their right mind would want this cacophony. He wordlessly got to work on it. Within 10 minutes he had the problem fixed which everyone else said never existed.
Furthermore for getting me rid of this long term ailment he did not even charge me anything. Just said that he was happy that the sound is fixed and he'll talk about charges when I come to him with some real problem. Whoa!!! It was enough to turn me into a believer.

Location of John Automobiles


It is in Rangpuri, Mahipalpur. Cross Radisson hotel on NH8 moving in the direction of Gurgaon. On your left you'll see a Puma store. Keep moving forward and you'll see a John Player store . Just before that store is a yellow gate. Get inside that gate and you have reached John Automobiles. It is easy to miss the gate though and coming back round again is a problem unless you drive in the wrong side. It is also a bit out of city for both Delhi and Gurgaon.
For location I give it 6/10
John Automobiles 1
John Automobiles 1
John Automobiles 2
John Automobiles 2

Locality  of John Automobiles

The locality mostly consists of factory sales for apparels. As there are no other Bullet stores nearby or convenience of any other mechanic you are kind of left without an option if John is not able to sort your problem (rarely happens). That been said it is quite busy marketplace and you can even shop around while your motorcycle is being worked upon.
For locality I give it 6/10.

Overall knowledge of John Automobiles

Well after my experience I got to believe that the people there are able to fix Bullets just by listening to the sound of its engine. Not only that John/Pappu talked a lot about all the performance mods that can be done on Bullet. He knew of "Hitchcock Mototrcycles" and when I gave their catalogue to him he exactly told me how each mod would benefit my Bullet. The mechanics there are equally adept in electricals as well.
For knowledge I give it 9/10

Care and ownership at John Automobiles

I have seen the love they have for their Bullets. The fact that they treat your Bullet with the same love makes me want to go to this place every time. The way they work on every machine here would make you think that it is a living breathing being. For some of us that illusion is what keeps us going.
For care and ownership I give it 9/10

Sophistication at John Automobiles

I am still to meet a Bullet mechanic or a mechanic in general who scored high on this point. John does not fit the bill either. Though he'll take great care that his work is not sloppy. Still things like uncrimped wires or reusing rusted nuts and bolts make me queasy.
For sophistication I give it 6/10

Overall ease at John Automobiles

Payment here is by cash only. Though John Automobiles has a small inventory of  spares. For really big parts like "Sprag Clutch" or "Chain Kit" you might have to got to mahipalpur Enfield Showroom. Since there is no easy way to get there. It would involve lots of wrong side driving. They do complete servicing, however washing and cleaning also is not carried out by them for which you'll have to go to an obscure cleaner 1.5 kms away, and since lubing motorcycle chain is only possible after washing you will have to come back to John Automobiles riding the wrong way. Phew again.
For overall ease I give it 6/10

Genuine parts at John Automobiles

Small parts can be purchased from him which are often a mix of genuine and local products. For any major parts he himself suggests going to Enfield showroom.
For genuine parts I give it 7/10

Variety/Innovative parts at John Automobiles

Very limited innovative parts. Most of which are sourced from Karol bagh and most of which will not be available the same day.
For variety I give it 6/10

Rates at John Automobiles

For best rates how about nothing. The fact that they solved my longstanding backfiring sound for free completely won me over. The guys at John Automobiles are pretty unassuming. You can see satisfaction in their eyes once they have tackled a particular problem. They really care for your rides and do not charge a paisa more than necessary.
For rates I give it 9/10

Timing at John Automobiles

John is open on weekends. However they are closed on Tuesdays.
For timing I give it 8/10


Final Rating: 72/100

No comments:

Post a Comment